Monday, May 7, 2012

Do I need to upgrade my Video Card?

My current video card is only 32MB and am thinking I need to upgrade slightly by getting a used (or new if they still sell them) 64MB card. My card is a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 64(HP) that came installed in my HP Pavilion model 7955.



My computer's power supply is only 200 watts and a lot of video cards call for a minimum of 250 watts.



Any suggestions?|||If you work your power supply too hard it will die, and when it dies it might just brown out, or it can take your whole computer with it. (A friend just experinced this, his power supply went, and took his motherboard and CPU with it.)



I *STRONGLY* recommend not running your power supply at it's limit. If the video card calls for a 250, install a 300. Also, be careful about other hardware upgrades. Every time you install a new hard drive, or DVD-Drive, that uses up more power. You're power supply is old, don't stress it out ;)



If you're in the market for a new power supply or video card, check out http://www.newegg.com , they have really good prices.|||As long as you buy a video card that does not require its own power supply (like a fan) it should be OK. I would consider upgrading the power supple to 300 watts as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment