Friday, May 4, 2012

Upgrading the video card for my computer?

Ok, I don't really know much about computers. I have a Sony VGC-JS1E and want to upgrade the video card. Once I've bought the video card though, will I be able to just put it into the computer myself, easy peasy, or will I have to take it into somewhere for it to be done for me? Also, I have a brother who knows loads about computers so would he be able to do it or do I still need to take it into somewhere to be done? Thanks x|||After looking over the specifications for your computer, I'm sorry to tell you, but you will not be able to upgrade the video card for your computer. The VGC-JS1E is an all-in-one computer/monitor and has no room for any kind of video card. Also, there are no expansion slots to put a video card, or any other type of card, into your computer.

The video card that is in your system now isn't really a video card. It is just the graphics processor from a video card. And that graphics processor is built into a chip (called the northbridge chip) that is permanently soldered onto the motherboard and can not be changed.

In a situation like yours, where the graphics processor is built into the motherboard, the only way to upgrade the graphics is to upgrade the entire motherboard and that is terribly expensive. Your computer uses a proprietary motherboard, meaning it is a special size and shape made only for your computer. In order for you to change the motherboard, you would be beholden to Sony to sell you one. And getting parts directly from Sony is pricey.

Just so I'm not telling you it can't be done and leaving it at that, I've checked and found that Sony offered these models:

VGC-JS2E/G

VGC-JS2E/P

VGC-JS2E/Q

VGC-JS2E/S

that are similar to your computer, but with better graphics built onto the motherboard. Those models came with the NVIDIA® GeForce® 9300M GS* graphics processors. This graphics processor is an improvement over the graphics processor in your computer. And because they are similar computers, the motherboard from one should swap directly into the other. You'd have to call Sony (or try an authorized Sony service center in your area) and have them see how much it would cost to order the motherboard for one of the model numbers I list above.

A decent video card would have cost you anywhere from $100 to $600 US dollars. I don't know how much a new motherboard would be, but you can keep the video card prices in your head when deciding whether a whole new motherboard is worth it. And as a person above suggested, it may be best to have a technician install the new motherboard.

I wish I had better news. I'm sorry. I just don't want to see someone say, "Hey, get one of these!" and have you disappointed when you find not only is there no slot to put the card in, but the card wouldn't fit in the case if there were. I also don't like leaving serious people with a simple, "You can't do it. Buy a new computer." That seems so fatalistic.

I hope I was of at least some help. If you need more help, please add more details to this question, or feel free to email me through my Yahoo! Answers profile.

Good luck.|||You should call a technician to install your card.|||That model comes with integrated graphics. You CANNOT upgrade the graphics card at all.|||if u dont no much about computer get ur bro if he can do it.



it is easy peasy but ur probably not sure how to do it.



hope i helped!!

No comments:

Post a Comment